Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is an internationally-recognized green leader among the public gardens with a mission to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse.
Built in 1893 as a gift from philanthropist Henry W. Phipps, the exquisite Victorian glasshouse with nine ever-changing display rooms has evolved dramatically over the years. Today, a journey through one of Phipps' seasonal flower shows - from a Spring Flower Show, which displays more than 69,000 bulbs each year, to a Winter Flower Show with more than 62,000 square feet of illuminated outdoor gardens - is enhanced by state-of-the-art facilities, including a LEED®-certified Welcome Center, 12,000-square-foot Tropical Forest Conservatory and the Center for Sustainable Landscapes, one of the greenest buildings on Earth.
Let us indulge your senses with breathtaking seasonal flower shows and exhibits, groundbreaking sustainable architecture, gorgeous outdoor gardens and green rooftops, and more. A dynamic combination of seasonal, annual and multi-year themed shows - including popular collaborative exhibits with glass artists Dale Chihuly, Hans Godo Frabel and Jason Gamrath - ensures there's always something new blooming at Phipps. Founded as one of the nation's first teaching conservatories, Phipps offers hundreds of formal education opportunities for children and adults each year.
Monday - Thursday: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Friday: 9:30 am to 10:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Holiday hours and special events are available at www.phipps.conservatory.org.
Admission at Phipps is free for members and children under the age of 2. Discounts are available for larger groups and tickets are discounted if purchased online in advance. For a complete list of admission costs, please visit www.phipps.conservatory.org.
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens offers four different types of tours:
- Self-Guided Tours allow your group to explore the Conservatory at your own leisure and pace. There is no surcharge for this option.
- Conservatory Tours are one hour in length and focus on our plant collections, history and current flower show. A $2 surcharge per person applies. Limited to 60 guests.
- Production Greenhouse Tours are one hour in length and take you behind the scenes to learn how we grow and care for Conservatory plants from a knowledgeable staff member. If your group would like to experience the rest of the Conservatory, please allowed extra time as these exclusive tours cover the Production Greenhouse only. A $5 surcharge per person applies. Limited to 15 guests.
- Center for Sustainable Landscapes (CSL) Tours are 60-90 minutes in length and focus on the sustainable aspects of the building and landscape of our research, education and administrative facility, designed and built to be one of the greenest buildings on Earth. The tour covers topics including green design, blurring the line between the build and natural environments, renewable energy, rainwater harvesting and green roofs. A surcharge of $2 per person applies. Limited to 40 guests.
To schedule a group tour, please contact our general line at 412.622.6914, or email@example.com.
- Free Parking (space is limited)
- Universal restroom facilities available
- Most of the campus is wheelchair accessible
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
1 Schenley Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA, 15213